Rock, Paper, Scissor
(The WCDR Poetry Challenge for School Students - In Honour of Dan Sullivan)
2008-9 Contest Theme - Saving the Environment
To encourage the writing of poetry in children by challenging them to express themselves about subjects that are relevant. In harmony with this, to create a liaison between the WCDR and educators for the purpose of encouraging artistic expression in written form and developing a continuing relationship that will support the increase in new members to the WCDR from both young writers and educators over time.
a) Youth in Grade school (grades 1 to 8)
b) You under 20 years of age attending high school (grades 9 to 12).
- Contest opens October 1, 2008. Closes January 31, 2009.
- The top 10 poems on the theme will be selected by the judges in each group.
- All 20 winners will be announced on March 31st, 2009.
- Each winner will receive the ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS chapbook containing all 20 winning poems.
- Should any winners be available to attend we will invite them to read at the April breakfast.
- Additional copies may be purchased starting at the April breakfast for $7.50 each or ordered on-line for $7.50 + postage.
There are no fees to enter.
Conditions of entry:
- Entries are limited to one poem per person.
- Maximum length of each poem is one page (if mailed) or 40 lines (if emailed)
- Poem must be original and written between October 1st 2008 and January 31st 2009.
- The author's name should not appear on the poem, but name address, and contact information should be placed on the back of any mailed entry or at the end of an emailed entry to assist in the blind judging process.
Poems may be submitted in two ways:
- Typed in the body of an email (not as an attachment) between October 1st 2o08 and midnight, January 31st 2009 to an email address to be provided by the WCDR.
- Typed or hand-written (legibly, please) on 8.5 x 11" paper and mailed (postmarked no later than January 31st 2009)
ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS
The Writers’ Circle of Durham Region
P.O. Box 1455875
Bayly Street West
Ajax, ON L1S 7K7
For more information, visit here: http://www.wcdr.org/wcdr25/?p=1000